Sunday, January 30, 2011

Stuff

In a attempt to get organized I bought a filing box thingie. While chatting with Dan about the new me with a "system" I grabbed a pen and started filling out the labels for my new files. I looked down at my first label and was about to slide it into the little plastic tab....only to realize I wrote "stuff".

Good thing I will have a file for stuff. The piles of stuff around the house will be much easier to dig through now that it is all jammed into a file.

Moments like this make me think I was dropped as a baby. I am waiting for the truth, mom.

Anyway.....


Thoughts:


I've never liked rules. I don't like mainstream anything. I am very skeptical of anyone claiming to have answers...even doctors and teachers....especially them. I don't trust easily. I think there is always another agenda. I see recipes as suggestions.

In parenting, there is always someone with an answer. Some of them are based in fact....but anyone can find facts that fit their argument these days.


I say this....because we selectivly vaccinate using a delayed schedule. I will not let my boy "cry it out". Ever. We didn't circumcise and I see it as such a barbaric, horrible, outdated tradition....to cut off any part of my baby for cosmetic reasons....especially the most sensitive part of his genitals simply because that is what Americans do.....well.....it gives me nightmares.

But like me, everyone has an opinion. And that is fine. Parenting is empowering because we get to decide what is right for our families. I get to make these choices. I don't use a stroller. I will breastfeed on demand for as long as I can. I use cloth diapers because that is what works for us and it makes me feel less guilty than filling a landfill with shit.

We all do what we think it right and what works best for our families. I am no better and no worse than other parents. I have opinions. We all do.


Not sure why I am typing this....other than every once in awhile I come across a preachy blog about how I am a bad parent if I don't vaccinate. And sometimes people I know suggest to let Milo just cry in his crib. And I just realized that their are moms out there that read 20 books a day to their 8 month old and I barely talk to Milo, let alone read to him. I kid. But really. Joking. But seriously.

For the record, I never read to Riley as an infant and she is an advanced reader. Just saying. I also never taught her sign language and she has no problem communicating....just last Friday she yelled "I hate you" loud and clear.

Badum ching!

Crickets.


I just realized I may come off as preachy. Am I preachy in my dislike of preachiness? I don't try to be.



My point: No matter what you do and how you parent, it will always be your fault when your grown child writes "stuff" on a filing label.

1 comment: